Wednesday, December 10, 2014

How To: Not Be Annoying via Social Media

by Cori



If you've been living under a rock for the past few centuries, let me enlighten you on what the new normal is: social media. It's the 21st century; we no longer use landlines, dial-ups, or snail mail (AN: I've actually just been told this is coming back because of its 'vintage' appeal). There are now a plethora of great ways to get in contact with one another, but with so much good comes some evil. Some of the messaging systems created are, for lack of a better word, annoying--and you don't want to be THAT person, do you? So I've compiled the top five worst messaging systems and broken them down for you so you can stop bothering your friends.



5. Twitter Direct Messaging:

While Twitter offers up some great things, their "direct message" system fails miserably. There is nothing more frustrating than receiving a message from someone called "TitsMcGee6969" telling me that it's time to lose that holiday weight and sign up for a gym membership. Your credibility falls with your name, however funny it may be, and you're going to create a lot of enemies.

Also, unrelated, but if Twitter is reading this, how can I get into direct contact with Leonardo DiCaprio? He's not reading any of my tweets or direct messages and that's just not working for me.



4. Audio Messages:

I have one question for you: Why? What could possibly possess you to think I want to hear your audio message telling me you're on the way to class? Most of the time, ironically, the messages aren't even audible. What's that? Sorry, I can't hear your over the motorcycle roaring next to you.

Anyways, most of the time the audio messages are sent from your butt. Rude.



3. Groupme:

Group messages: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I used to think it was cool to have group messages. It made me feel like I had friends, even though I was just texting my parents. I soon realized that group chats were the bane of my existence. There are few trivial things more frustrating than waking up or leaving class with seventy-five texts from one group. There isn't a chance in hell I'm going to read that.

Maybe just notify me whenever you're going to eat, and then I'll answer you.



2. Instagram Commenting: 

Plain and simple: if you need me, don't comment on my Instagram saying "text me" because I will not do that.



1. Snapchat:

For the love of all that is good, do not start a conversation via Snapchat. Sure, it's okay to send a few private photos and say things like "you look like a small boy in that last snap" (true story) but don't go overboard. For example, "Hey, what are you doing tonight?" is not acceptable. Just don't do it.


YOU'RE WELCOME, and happy messaging! 

No comments:

Post a Comment